Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Warrior not a Worrier


Yesterday I had the pleasure of sharing yoga with a 6 year old Birthday girl and 15 of her friends. When asked, wouldn't you know that at least 13 of them had done yoga before this day - truly AMAZING!!!

During the party, as always when I teach Warrior Pose, we stated affirmations. I asked the girls what a Warrior is, simultaneously doing Warrior I Pose and saying "Warriors are..." Waiting for a response from the group to fill in & then state "I am..." One of the girls shouted that "Warriors are strong!", we shouted "I am strong!" Someone else shouted "Warriors are boys!" I acknowledged & explained that Warriors can be girls too & we stated "I am a person!"

"Warriors are brave!" We chanted "I am brave!"

Then the cutest, sweetest, funniest, most innocent moment of the day...The birthday girl asked "How can worriers be brave if they worry so much?!" Huh? Great point, but oh she said "Worrier" not "Warrior." Of course, I cleared up the difference and continued on with what a Warrior is not a Worrier!

While the b-day girl learned exactly what a Warrior is, I learned not to take for granted what children know. When else has a 6 yr. old NYC kid been exposed to a Warrior? Not yet, so that was my cue to teach them! All a learning experience, always & forever!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?